It is quite scary; poison control centre reported that each year, nearly 1 million children younger than 5 exposed to toxic drugs. With some common-sense precautions, you can keep your child safe from poisoning and of becoming a statistic. If you have children in your home or have children often visiting your home, make sure that every drug you have is in the child resistant packaging.
Many times the grandparents will request a non-child-resistant packaging for their drugs because they have trouble opening the container. If this happens to you, make sure that all your medications stored where children can not see or reach them later. Often you will end up with a drug that ends before you have a need to use it.
These medications should not be simply thrown in the trash. Think about it, who's little face and hands are closer to that trash can than your child's These drugs may have ended, but they still pose a poisoning hazard to your child. To keep your child safe from poisoning, flush expired drugs down the toilet or pour liquids into the sewer. Rinse the container and then throw it away.
NEVER mention any drug as 'candy'. Children must not be misled by having their medications called candy. Pharmaceutical companies may make children's medicines taste 'good' to make it easier to literally, swallow, but that doesn't make it candy. In referring to it as candy, you give your child the message that it is OK to drink or eat whenever they could get there.